Announcement of Vacancy for UniServ Director
Date of Posting: April 11, 2019
Closing Date: April 26, 2019
UniServ Director, Washoe Education Association (Local Option)
This position is with the Washoe Education Association (WEA) in Reno, Nevada. The WEA is seeking to hire one (1) UniServ Director. The WEA is a Local Option association.
- Strong advocacy, support, and client service skills
- New-member organizing experience
- High degree of interpersonal skills to work with educators, administrators, etc.
- Highly-motivated self-starter
- Strong communications skills – verbal and written. Must be an excellent listener.
- Appropriate technological skills including basic familiarity with computers and a willingness to learn new technology
- Strong professional characteristics including dependability, flexibility, solid work ethic, ability to plan and manage one’s time effectively and ability to work well with diverse individuals and interests
- Experience in the following areas of Association work:
- Collective bargaining
- Membership recruitment (this is a high priority for this position)
- Contract administration, including contract negotiations, interpretation, grievances, complaints, arbitrations, etc.
- Conflict Management and Consensus Building
- Good training skills
- Work the necessary hours and schedule to meet member needs
- Organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
Additional Desired Qualifications, but not required:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- K-12 teaching experience
- Experience working in a school setting
- Previous staff and/or leadership experience
- Crisis management experience
- Office and budget management skills
- Knowledge of current public education issues including school finance
General Job Responsibilities:
- Work with member leaders and take initiative to increase membership
- Represent members in dispute resolution, grievance processing, and arbitrations
- Provide assistance in development and delivery of programs and services to members
- Support and assist the elected leaders and representatives of the unit in carrying out the full range of their responsibilities
- Providing timely responses and assistance to member questions and issues
Salary and Fringe Benefits:
$74,000 annual salary, contribution to life/health insurance and retirement, and an auto allowance.
WEA UniServ Application
Applications will be accepted through April 26, 2019 and should be mailed to Washoe Education Association at the address listed below. Application materials may be scanned and emailed to Earl Spriggs at email@example.com, but must be followed with mailed hard copies. Applications must include a letter of interest, resume, and the WEA employment application (available at www.weatoday.org). Application materials should be mailed to:
Washoe Education Association
1890 Donald Street
Reno, NV 89502
Washoe Education Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Ethnic minorities and women are encouraged to apply.